Monday, August 18, 2008

Going Greener

Inspired by Abbey's recent post on the Well Fed Network, I thought we'd do a post on all of the "go green" habits we've started since we moved to Florida. Back in PA, we'd started taking baby steps, like switching one room to CFL light bulbs and using a Britta pitcher as opposed to buying bottled water. But we decided we could do more, and that the process would be easier to start in a new place. So, here's what we're doing so far:
  • Switched to all "green" cleaning products... some by Clorox and others by Method.
  • Purchased re-useable grocery bags. Although, I admit that we forgot to take them with us on our last grocery run. Next time.
  • Switched all of our light bulbs to CFL bulbs. Energy efficient and cost effective (in the long run). Engineers love that combo!
  • Recycling, at least we hope so. We've been saving our plastic and glass bottles and want to recycle them, but we haven't found the recycling bins in our community yet.
  • We're still using the awesome Britta pitcher for ice-y cold water. And we fill up Matt's nalgene bottles when we're on the go.
  • Katie inspired the next green purchase: cloth napkins. Oh so cute and eco-friendly.
  • My final, and probably favorite, green habit came from the book It's easy being green. To conserve water, we always keep our watering can next to the sink. Then, if I don't drink my entire glass of water with dinner, I empty it into the can instead of sending it down the drain! So simple, so smart.
Here are some pictures, as proof of our progress. Let us know if you have any simple, green-living tips for us!



8 comments:

Katie said...

Green Toilet Paper! 100% Recycled. Get it! Use it!
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Recycled-Toilet-Paper

Anonymous said...

We've been using Method for about a year now, and I am so pleased with how clean it gets stuff and how the house smells *purely clean* when I'm done-- no chemical smells. I keep waiting for Method to go public so I can invest in the company.

We gave up paper towels in January when a friend asked me to make her some cloth napkins. Ladies, bust out those sewing machines! I've been making quick and easy napkins regularly since January, and we love pulling new ones of the drawer. Now that E's in school full time, I pack a pretty cloth napkin in his lunch box so he'll smile every time he opens it. Think funky-- our current favs have black and pink skulls, with plain black backs.

Congrats on going green, and your cool new home!

-Nicole

Whitney said...

Katie- We'll try the recycled TP as soon as we run out of our "bulk" buy from Sam's club.

Nicole- Definitely a good idea to invest in green companies! And so far, I like the Method products too. Homemade cloth napkins sound awesome- unique, fun, and re-usable! But I haven't used a sewing machine since my 4th grade 4-H class... and I think mom ended up doing most of the actual sewing ;-)

Katie said...

OMG-Skull napkins! Fabulousness.

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

GENIUS idea about the watering can!! That is one I might have to start doing myself!

You guys are doing a great job at going green!! I try really hard to keep it up myself...but it's difficult sometimes. Like you, I sometimes forget my grocery bags...so I've started just leaving them in the car after each trip. Now I just have to remember to put them back in the car after I empty them...but that IS easier than remembering to grab them as I head out the door.

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

One last thing... I was glancing at all the other comments and thought that Katie's comment about the toilet paper said, "Get It Used!" Instead of "Get it! Use it!" Opps. There's an awfully big difference in those two sayings, huh? :)

Whitney said...

Abbey- HILARIOUS! and gross ;-)

Robert Prather said...

Awesome. Well-done. Also, nice Publix bags. You're totally Floridian now. ;-)