Sunday, August 31, 2008

Film Festival Fun

Yesterday, from 1pm to 1am, Matt and I spent the rainy day at the CenFlo film festival. While I'm sure it doesn't compare to Cannes or Sundance, we had a great time and wanted to share a few of our favorite films with you. So, if you see these in a theatre (or on Netflix) one day, check them out!

The whole reason we went to CenFlo was because my cousin, Michael McCord, starred in the film Surviving Guthrie. The film was produced by Georgetown College and is about an unruly professor who is black-mailed into walking the straight and narrow to ensure that his daughter doesn't get expelled and that the University gets some much needed funding. It's got some nice one-liner's and if you've ever eaten at Bianke's restaurant in Cynthiana, it's pretty awesome to see it on the big-screen as one of the locations.

Pretty Ugly People was our favorite feature film. The acting was amazing (I love Melissa McCarthy), the script was hilarious, and it's really beautiful. I definitely see it winning several indie awards! Be warned that the trailer doesn't quite do it justice. You must see this movie!

We also saw several great short films:

Yay Indie films!

3 comments:

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

AWESOME! That sounds like SO much fun!! I cannot wait to see Pretty Ugly People.

I wish Melissa McCarthy was my friend. I wonder if she's like Suki in real life?

Anonymous said...

Joe Gatton plays "Guthrie" -- I used to work with him in Lexington. He's a great actor-- and a great guy. I'll have to see it now, I want to see Joe being old and crabby!

Thanks for telling me about it Whit.
-Nicole

Whitney said...

Abbey- me too! I wanna be Meilssa's friend. I think I've loved every character she's ever played... it's her laugh/squeal that's sooo delightful and contagious.

Nicole- so cool that know Joe. He was really great in the role!