Monday, September 22, 2008

Me Employed, You Envious

In case you haven't heard, I'm employed...well sorta. I am now a marketing intern at G&G advertising. I landed this gig as a direct result of my "unique" portfolio. I'm not sure what was meant by that comment, but I'll take it. :-) Let's start at the beginning.

When Whitney and I first moved to Orlando, I set out to find a creative position in advertising. Major obstacle: I had zero experience in advertising. I vaguely remember working to obtain this thing...it indicates a sound knowledge base and ability to perform. What is that thing called again? Oh, right. A degree. In English, no less. I knew it would come to me. I hoped that all those years spent amassing writings and an impressive library (or so I'm told) would in some way benefit me in my career search. And it did. I compiled a sample of works, from travel writing to blog posts, that demonstrated my range as a writer, called it a portfolio, and bam! Oh no, no, no. We need an Emeril style, over-the-top, emphatic BAM!!! Much better. That was all it took to find the entry level career of my dreams. Well, that and a willingness to work for free. Who needs money when you have an awesome sugar momma?!

So, now I go to work every day, excited to learn the inner workings of G&G advertising. Once I get over the "Hey, I'm new here and you all scare me," acclimation phase, I think I will love working for the Gs. Here's a video of the office ambiance...aren't you jealous?


2 comments:

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I kind of hate you, Matthew Cullen Taylor!

:)

Just Kidding! Sort of.

That place looks freaking awesome and I AM super jealous!!

Was that you that I saw in that little video montage? Man! You're already in their videos!!

HATE YOU!!

Robert Prather said...

That place looks fun. Are they hiring? I like those monkeys.